loved and cherished

Addie and Liam when you grow up and have significant others, I hope that the person you have found understands the value of truly knowing you. I hope they know how to celebrate you and make you feel special. On my 34th birthday, that is exactly what you dad did. I got to spend my morning and afternoon with you both, but your dad had made plans for us that evening.
That night, he took me to a local winery with live music and while we enjoyed the wine, music and people watching, we started  discussing where to eat dinner, I remembered I had left a birthday coupon for a restaurant in Benicia at home and was bummed. Your dad, calm as usual, just asked where else I'd like to go. I thought about it for awhile and kept coming back to a quaint, but spendy restaurant near the winery. We had only been here once before you were born Addie and I didn't want to be too greedy, but I cautiously threw the idea out to your dad. He said, "okay." 
As we parked, I noticed an antique/2nd-hand shop that I've always wanted to go to, was open across the street. We pursued all the treasures and when I had enough, we walked across the street to this little fancy restaurant, Mankas Corner. As we stepped inside your dad said "I have reservations for 6pm." I was floored! I looked down at my watch and that was the exact time, but this had been your dad's plan all along. He had made reservations several days ahead of time. I don't think I even needed to eat one bite, just this simple and thoughtful act was one of the best gifts I had ever received! He thought of me. He knew me. He loves me. Addie and Liam this is my hope for you, that one day you will know how it feels to be known and to be loved.

No comments: