week 7 ~ earth (part 2)

As I wrote previously, I took the Kindergarten Earth Science standard a little deeper and we learned about our Earth in relation to the Solar System. I enjoyed learning about this as a kid (and still do) and thought it would be fun for us to dabble in outer space for a bit! Although, I wasn't sure how much she would be able to grasp, she did understand a few basics and I think little seeds were planted for the future. 
Read Alouds:  The book Me and My Place in Space was wonderful for teaching a semi-abstract concept to a four year old. I would highly recommend this book! The other books were way too detailed and long but we used them for the pictures

Thematic PoemHere's the link to this weeks' poem! There were lots of great sight words to highlight!
Words/Phonics Hands-on Activity: Bingo: Here is a generic Bingo mat you can print off for each member of your family. I normally do the word families we are working on for the week and maybe a few challenging sight words. I have her write the words, while I write them on my own mat and the laminated cards I talked about in week 5. We take turns flipping the cards over and then use some math cubes to mark the words (but you could use anything, pennies, noodles, M&Ms, etc.). You can also use these mats for vocabulary words in history or science, math facts, there are quite a few possibilities! And who doesn't love playing a game of Bingo!?!

Fieldtrip: I finally got around to taking advantage of our library's Discover and Go program and got us in for FREE to the Lawrence Hall of Science. There was a lot to explore but what I was really hoping for was a neat solar system exhibit. I have to say Addie and I were quite disappointed. Other than that they had some great exhibits and my kids had a great time!

1 comment:

auntie pam said...

Addie, someday when you are looking back on this blog, you will be amazed at how much your mom gave you as you were getting ready to start school! It is truly an awesome gift you are being given and my prayer for you is that you will know it and appreciate it! Love you.