a christmas dinner

The other night Addie asked me at least two times during the day, "Mom can you make a Christmas dinner?" I wasn't quite sure what she was asking for but I knew what groceries I had and what was planned for dinner, so I improvised. Here's a chicken pot pie with a Christmas twist (prior to going into the oven).
One of my friends asked me for the recipe so while I sat down to type it up for her, I thought maybe others would like the recipe too. It was taken from a magazine but I've made quite a few of alterations to it. It's become one of our favs!

2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cups of chopped yukon potatoes
1/2 large onion
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup of dry white wine
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup peas (I use frozen)
meat from rotisserie chicken (I usually pick one up from Costco)
1 package/box of pie dough (I'm sure you could find a pie dough recipe if you wanted to make it "from scratch.")
1 egg beaten

1. Heat oven to 375. Then spray your bake ware with olive oil. (I usually spray a large family corning ware bowl with olive oil or I've also used individual ramekins too.)
2. Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onion and salt and pepper to your liking. Cook covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the wine and broth and bring to a boil.
4. Add chicken, carrots, peas and let boil a few minutes longer. Then simmer and start to prepare your pie crusts.
5. Once you've placed the mixture in your pie and made your top, (I just used cookie cutters for the stars, but you could use whatever you want or even do a lattice) then lightly brush with beaten egg and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. 

1 comment:

auntie pam said...

Yummy! I think I will give your recipe a try.