our three year old is reading!

As a former Kinder/1st grade teacher, it is with great pride that I post this video...
What I love about this, is that she is actually decoding the words and not just memorizing them! She has known all her sounds for over a year now and kept thinking okay, it's time to build on that. I had grandiose plans of going through all of my old teaching material and putting together elaborate lesson plans. But frankly, I was lazy and bought a book I had seen some of my homeschooling moms use. And to boot, it is one of the most hated curriculums amongst my colleagues. But...she's reading!!! I'll add the fun, enriching stuff again, I promise!

What I also don't love about this, is how hard she can be on herself! I'm constantly telling her how great she's doing, how smart she is, how proud we are of her! Even when she's making a simple craft, she can get so upset if she thinks she's messed up. This is definitely something I want to work with her on, and hopefully we can corral that little perfectionistic side! I can remember another little girl who was the same way...ME!

Look who else is taking an interest in books! I have a very similar picture of his sister, the very same age, just quietly looking through books in the living room. Click here to see the pictures of her.

1 comment:

Leila Schuck said...

Reading Mastery Rocks. People hate it, but it works. I use it with my students who are really struggling. They grew over 30 cwpm in 3 months (each student with a learning disability and SUPER LOW). It doesn't matter if we like teaching with it. It matters if it works. And it does. Even with preschoolers! You enrich her life every day. Don't worry about using a boring curriculum if it works. That's the point of it. :)