week three ~ american holidays

Happy 4th of July Everyone! I hope you all had a happy and safe day celebrating our nation! Here's how we spent our week...

Read Alouds: These were some great books we read to explain our patriotic holidays! I especially loved The American Flag book because it was very simple and Addie was able to read most of it on her own! I love watching that magical moment when she realizes she's reading the book by herself!

Thematic Poem: We just did the good ole' Pledge of Allegiance. We got the flag out and we talked about right hand versus the left and that we place it over our heart. It was so funny hearing her own interpretation of some of the words such as "Republic" and "indivisible." I think I need some video! Hee! Hee! Here's the link for your own copy!
Word/Phonic Hands-on Activity: Stamps: These stamps were one of the first items I purchased as a classroom teacher and I've gotten my money's worth! I believe I bought this set at Lakeshore Learning but I've seen them other places too. They are perfect for teaching word families as well as sight words. First Addie and I went through the word wall and any words she was shaky on, I wrote down. Then I wrote down our short e families. Next she read it, stamped it, wrote it!
FieldtripIf you haven't had a chance to pick up the schedule of events from one of our libraries, check out the website to get a copy (there's a link to the right)! Our libraries are fabulous and have tons of great summer activities planned at each branch. This week we went to the Flag Day event at the Vacaville Cultural Center Library. Addie got to make her own flag and then parade it through the library! 
Not the most patriotic flag but a flag very representative of my girl!


No comments: