A Mama's Deep Thoughts on MLK

As I think about today and it's importance, I think back to my classroom days. I remember sitting at the carpet with my adorable first graders and realizing I was a minority in my own classroom. As I looked at all of their sweet little tan and brown faces, I wondered how on Earth I would teach them about the ugliness of this world. How would I teach them that there once was a time that tan and brown kids could not go to school with white kids? And so I stumbled my way through talking about being kind to people no matter what they look like, for I knew to ignore this man's legacy, would be a failure as a teacher. I can only hope that what I left their innocent and impressionable minds with that day, was a simple message of love and acceptance.

I hope to teach that same love and acceptance to Addelyn, not only through words but actions. I want her to be knowledgeable about other cultures, but keep her mind open and stereotypes at bay. In return, I hope my daughter can grow up in a world where she is not seen as the "white girl" or called names because of the color of her hair. I want her to be recognized and loved for being a kind and compassionate person. This is my calling.

In my classroom with some of my much loved students. I can remember each and every one of their names and I have no doubt, my eyes would light up if you were to ask me to tell you a story about them.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I had no idea you were a teacher! I taught 2nd grade before I had Tanner (my first).

In the post about trying to take your little one's picture for your Chrismtas card....could her outfit be any cuter? I love it. I miss the days where my kids would let me choose their outfits. For my oldest 2, those days are gone.

You look amazing....like you've never had a baby. And you were Motherhood well also.

You have a beautiful family.

Lizzie Lamm (Arnold)